In this article, you will discover how tasks can be assigned to drivers automatically through the Onfleet dashboard.
Note: Drivers must be active (idle or in-transit) to be considered in an auto-assignment decision. Once a driver is chosen, the task will be appended to the end of their assigned task list.
Auto-assign via Dashboard
- Select a task or tasks to be auto-assigned from the sidebar.
- Right-click and choose auto-assign tasks from the context menu.
Choose criteria for assigning to drivers:
- To closest driver: This will auto-assign the task to the driver who is currently the shortest distance from the new task's destination.
- To shortest route: This will auto-assign the task to the driver who, upon assignment of the new task, will have the shortest total distance to travel. This calculates the distance from the active driver's last-known location to their active task if there is one, and through to each of the ordered destinations corresponding to the driver's assigned tasks, with the final computation being from their last-assigned task to the newly-created one.
Note: If your organization is using team assignment, tasks which are auto-assigned from within a team will be restricted to drivers in that team.
(Optional) Select advanced options:
- Limit assigned tasks per driver: Sets an upper bound to the number of tasks a driver can be assigned at once. For example, if the limit is set to 2 tasks, a driver who already has 2 tasks assigned will not be eligible to receive the auto-assignment, even if they are the closest or have the shortest route.
- Ignore linked tasks: This will auto-assign tasks to drivers without consideration for any linked task structure. Note: This may separate linked tasks across multiple drivers.