What is it about certain designs that make online customers “convert” (click to order) so much more often than others? Our merchandising team analyzed the data of hundreds of thousands of customers and their interactions with different products. Leveraging that data, they're sharing three essential elements of a best selling floral arrangement, below!
The Three P’s
There are three major factors to selling well online, regardless of what you’re offering. We like to call them the three P’s: Price, Photography, and Product Design. A best seller nails all three P’s and presents them to the customer in the right place at the right time.
Overall BloomNation.com bestsellers have the following characteristics:
- Price: Arrangements that bring in the most revenue are usually not the ones with the highest price. Our data shows that the arrangements making florists the most money are priced between $45 and $75 and accompanied by low delivery fees (over 70% of all sales through BloomNation's Marketplace are earned by florists with delivery fees under $15).
- Photography: Pictures convey value to online shoppers. Images that use natural lighting and settings, have little to no visible editing and show the entire arrangement are most appealing to the customer. Photographs that don’t have those qualities are at a disadvantage even before a customer sees the price. Read more about best-selling photography.
- Product Design: Top performers are usually small to medium-sized compact arrangements that can be used for multiple occasions and settings (i.e. as a centerpiece, gift, for a desk, etc.). It is also important to note that most bestsellers have versatile vessels that can be used after the flowers are gone.
Breaking Down a "Super Seller"
Why does “Rustic and Peach” sell 2x more than the average best seller?
Like Sada’s Flowers’ arrangement above, “Rustic and Peach” (pictured below) has been a top-five bestseller since My Blooming Business started offering it. Versatile, contemporary, and priced to sell, customers in this highly competitive area of Los Angeles are purchasing this arrangement more than others regardless of season or holiday.
- Price: Listed at $49.95 coupled with low delivery fees has this arrangement flying off the shelves.
- Photography: Although missing a size reference, this image is clear with natural lighting, and is easy for the customer to see the entire gift.
- Product Design: The wooden vessel helps make this design popular and adds value to the smaller arrangement since the recipient can reuse the vase long after the flowers fade. The color scheme makes it a great gift for friends, family, and coworkers and works for a wide variety of occasions including "New Baby", "Get Well", "Happy Birthday", "Thank You", "Congratulations", "Easter", etc. The soft texture of the flowers paired with the rustic texture of the wood makes a big statement and matches trending consumer preferences exactly.
- BONUS POINTS: My Blooming Business also offers later cut-off times for same-day delivery. Customers are conditioned for on-demand delivery and want a product as soon as they click “Buy”. Their business model caters to that behavior.